- US government officials responded negatively to WikiLeaks because they were embarrassed.
- They should be embarrassed. WikiLeaks’ publications showed that they were doing something wrong.
- It is not the job of journalists to rescue government officials from embarrassment.
- It is also not the job of journalists to protect governments from the diplomatic or political consequences of their own wrongdoing.
- When powerful wrongdoers fear being found out, they are forced to behave more acceptably. That is a good thing.